NTS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the Newtek Technology Services Forum!

Author Topic: Linux Ded server  (Read 7985 times)

Offline gvdan

• Hosting Newbie
Linux Ded server
« on: September 08, 2007, 06:03:20 AM »
I'm concedering getting a linux box from CT. I already have Windows boxes but it is time I learn.

Are you happy with your Linux box? Why are the Chips just Celeron? Is this becuase Windows is more demanding and Linux is not? will it be fast enough? I am REALLY happy with CT. Are you happy with the Linux boxes? Do they back them up?

Offline ZootSuitRyan

• Hosting Newbie
Re: Linux Ded server
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 02:11:57 PM »
Celeron processors are more than enough for running a production LAMP box.  The most important hardware on your basic LAMP server (bare bones PC) is the memory (RAM).  I have two servers on CT and am happy with their performance. I would run a WAMP server if there was a Windows thin client available, but until then, CentOS is sufficient.

If you want to create your own local development box, download the single CD from the CentOS site.  I installed it on our Dell server in less than 15 minutes.  There was no need for any additional drivers to detect our RAID.  All software packages can be easily downloaded, installed and upgraded using YUM.

Josh [CT]

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 06:17:35 AM »
Regarding backups, for dedicated servers we do not backup the server unless you order that particular option.  As outlined on http://www.crystaltech.com/dedicated-linux.aspx, backups up to 80gb of storage, have a $25 setup fee with a $40 monthly fee.  More information about the backup service can be seen by clicking the link on that page as well about backups.  (www.crystaltech.com/popups/ldbackups.htm

Offline jerryperes

• Hosting Newbie
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 07:12:44 AM »
I read your post. The Linux is not user friendly like Microsoft window. So you will be face problem when you using Linux server.

Offline Jason [NTS]

• Newtek Technology Solutions
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 01:12:48 PM »
I read your post. The Linux is not user friendly like Microsoft window. So you will be face problem when you using Linux server.

There are however, applications the integrate with Linux servers, such as Webmin and WHM/cPanel that will assist with the day-to-day administration of the Linux Server.
Jason
Server Operations Department
http://NewtekTechnology.com