NTS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the Newtek Technology Services Forum!

Author Topic: centOS 5 and my love is fading  (Read 16118 times)

Offline ohmybrain

• Hosting Newbie
centOS 5 and my love is fading
« on: October 03, 2007, 02:17:35 PM »
Hello,
I have had a long standing love affair with CT and am a customer with several client boxes here.

Unfortunately I am at the point where shoring up centOS 4 thunkers is not cutting it - and have been waiting and waiting for the centOS 5 boxes with a decent amount of ram to replace them. However the sales staff has gone from being uncommitted to telling when they may come in to not knowing what an operating system is but assures me the tech guys can find the correct screws to attache the centosy thingy  to the side of my current box...

I feel like me and CT are drifting apart ever so much since there NOC center move.

Can someone technical that knows the "os does not have a five lug bolt pattern"  tell me if these puppies may be available in the next 14 days on some of chance Fall drive?

Or  is it time for me to break up with my hosting provider and move on after all?

thanks in advance

sad brian

Chandi [CT]

Re: centOS 5 and my love is fading
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 06:40:04 PM »
Brian,

We definately are in the final stretch of created larger dedicated servers that will soon become avaliable to our customers. Now the timeline is another thing, I can tell you it will not be in the next 14 days but probably within the next 4 to 6 weeks.

The other option I have for you immediately is that our team can build a server with centOS 5 on it for you. This will require you to move your files to another server but it will have the centOS 5 you need. The price for this is $75 an hour and I was informed it can take about 2 hours.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of what we can do to accomidate you and other customer, for that matter. Both options will provide you with the necessay centOS 5 you need. Let me know if either of these options work for you. Also feel free to PM me. Thanks!

Offline ohmybrain

• Hosting Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 06:04:02 AM »
Thanks you for your response, I will PM you on Friday, I will try this with a new project, leaving my current boxes in place, Then if this works out but then you will probably offer this up anyway it sounds and I can migrate the one box I have that really has all the high tech stuff happening,

thanks again and will ping you  tomorrow

brian

Offline bartee

• Hosting Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 01:41:42 PM »
I was just told by Sonia in Sales that there will be a eMail coming out tonight.

I am looking for CentOS 5 and want to run Ruby on Rails.

So Far if I can do it CT has one of the cheapest plans for a dedicated Linux box.

I am 15 hosting accounts now so I believe in CT.

Let see what they have come up with.

Offline Will [CT]

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 02:15:32 PM »
I was just told by Sonia in Sales that there will be a eMail coming out tonight.

I am looking for CentOS 5 and want to run Ruby on Rails.

So Far if I can do it CT has one of the cheapest plans for a dedicated Linux box.

I am 15 hosting accounts now so I believe in CT.

Let see what they have come up with.

New dedicated server plans will be available soon. When full details become available(including specs and features like which OS will be standard), we will of course send out that information to all of our customers and also provide new plan information on our website.

As mentioned earlier this month (on this thread) we can setup a Linux box with CentOS 5 for you now. Feel free to contact anyone in our sales team if you would like us to set this up.  There would be an hourly custom work fee ($75/hr...you're looking at 2 hours for this), but there would be no increase in the monthly cost.
Will Rose

Offline Will [CT]

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 10:57:12 AM »
As mentioned earlier this month (on this thread) we can setup a Linux box with CentOS 5 for you now. Feel free to contact anyone in our sales team if you would like us to set this up.  There would be an hourly custom work fee ($75/hr...you're looking at 2 hours for this), but there would be no increase in the monthly cost.

CentOS 5 is now the standard OS on the new Linux Pentium D server we just announced today (there would be no additional hourly fee, as stated above, for this new server.

See details at http://www.crystaltech.com/dedicated-linux.aspx
Will Rose

Offline ZootSuitRyan

• Hosting Newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 11:27:03 AM »
Two questions:

1. Do you offer an install from just the server-only disk?
2. Do managed customers get updated to 5?

Offline Will [CT]

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 01:19:09 PM »
1. Do you offer an install from just the server-only disk?

Yes, but this would require an hourly custom work fee from our dedicated support team.
2. Do managed customers get updated to 5?

Existing servers with CentOS 4 would not be upgraded to 5 as part of the managed services option.  If you are interested in going with CentOS 5 you would need to go with our new Pentium D server.  CentOS 5 is available on legacy boxes as a custom option on new orders only.
Will Rose

Offline Sugar70

• Hosting Newbie
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 07:00:09 PM »
Thanks guys for the information here.
This is really interesting and a great advantage in my part.
God Bless!

how to deal with depression