NTS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the Newtek Technology Services Forum!

Author Topic: SMF Forum won't send email  (Read 67822 times)

Offline b1dupree

• Hosting Newbie
SMF Forum won't send email
« on: October 25, 2007, 09:21:44 PM »
I am having difficult sending email messages and notifications through SMF 1.1.4 (simplemachines).  I have configured it for SMTP.  I have entered in the mail server as mail.domain.com.  I have entered the username as address@domain.com amd the correct password.  Still no email is going out.  Anyone out there that can assist? ???
Thanks,
B.Ras

Offline TMackie

• Crystaltech Web Hosting
Re: SMF Forum won't send email
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 11:42:16 AM »
Does it give you any error in the forum error log under the admin section?

Offline b1dupree

• Hosting Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 03:43:37 PM »
Thanks for your reply.  There was one old error from yesterday, but there are no new entries since then:

Ran into problems sending Mail. Error: 550 <address@address.com> No such user here

I had an email address configured for the webmaster email addres which wasn't the same as the SMTP username address but I change it so they're both the same.

Still can't figure it out.
Bruce

Offline b1dupree

• Hosting Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 04:17:25 PM »
Well for some reason it is working now.  I reset the port number from 26 then back to 25.  I reset the passwords, email addresses, etc. and it has sent out two emails to my test account. Thanks for the response. :)

Offline Groff

• Hosting Newbie
  • NetCaptor Lives
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 08:18:47 PM »
Thought I'd reanimate this topic because I'm having the same problem.  Except in my case it doesn't appear to be self-healing. :-\

I'm trying to set up a SMF forum with a CT account.  "Business/Intermediate" plan.

Everything is working great, except that I can't get SMF to send email.  So I can't, for example, get the registration to work the way it should.  Or "news," or password reminders, etc.

I tried both the PHP and SMTP SMF mail server methods.  I tried using my admin login for the CT mail account ("username@domain").  I tried using the mailserver instead ("MailA60.webcontrolcenter.com").  I tried several port assignments.

The only thing I can do is send an email to my admin email address at the CT SmarterMail server.  Any other address, I get:

Ran into problems sending Mail. Error: 550 <address@address.com> No such user here

That's with the SMTP setting. 

When I try the PHP default mail, no mail goes anywhere to anyone, and I get this error (it says "Guest" because I was using the SMF login password reset as a test):

Guest   May 25, 2008, 04:04:59 pm 
 76.111.103.237     a4eb7ab66f964cb740443e749486187d 
 http://domain/smf/index.php?action=register2
Unable to send mail to the email address 'address@address.com'

Guest   May 25, 2008, 04:04:59 pm
76.111.103.237     a4eb7ab66f964cb740443e749486187d 
http://domain/smf/index.php?action=register2
2: mail() [<a href='function.mail'>function.mail</a>]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set()
File: D:\Inetpub\domain\SMF\Sources\Subs-Post.php
Line: 664

I believe I can't get at "php.ini" directly, because the php is part of the CT shared hosting package.  Correct?  I've seen php scripts using the "ini_set()" command, but I don't want to mess with them because I'm not a programmer, and don't know how to invoke a command anyway.  And -- shouldn't the SMF admin mail server settings form be doing the setting?  Isn't that why it's there?

Any suggestions welcome ...

Oh yeah, SMF version is 1.1.5

(Also checked to see that my admin e-mail in SMF is the CT admin email, in case CT is somehow checking it for authentication.)

Well, I have a workaround.  If I create a forwarding "alias" in CT mail for every forum member, then it'll relay it to whatever address I put in the alias.  But I don't want to have to do that for every new member!  I want CT mail to relay any message, so long as it recognizes my mail login as authentication.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 07:06:46 AM by Groff »

Offline Skeever

• Hosting Newbie
    • LFCHistory.net
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 10:23:34 AM »
You need to go into the SMF admin panel and configure the email.

Click on Server Settings and Feature configuration. Select SMTP from the drop list, add your smtp server (probably mail. endingwith yourdomain) and also username + pass are probably needed as well. Those are the user+pass from a pop account on the mail server.

Once you are finished with that the email will probably go out.

Offline Groff

• Hosting Newbie
  • NetCaptor Lives
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 09:31:55 AM »
OK.  Finally fixed it.  Turns out the problem was with the "From" address.

And the tricky part is that, for some unknown reason, the "From" address is not on the Feature Configuration page, along with the rest of the mail server settings.  It's on the main Core Configuration page: "Webmaster Email Address."  And I had that set to my personal email, not to a user I'd registered on the CT mail server.  So the CT server was refusing to send mail for a user it didn't recognize.

I just was not thinking to go back and look at the Core Configurations, since I thought they were OK -- database id and password, etc.

What was even more confusing was that on the Feature Configuration page, there are entries for "SMTP username" and "SMTP password."  So even though I knew, from searching forums, that the problem could be in the "From" address -- by golly, I thought I was setting that correctly!  I mean, what the heck are "SMTP username" and "SMTP password," if they're not the mail user who's sending the email?  Are they just dummy entries that don't actually do anything?

The other thing was that the SMF error messages were misleading.  They kept indicating that the problem was either with the server ID (using PHP), or the "To" address (using SMTP).  But neither was the problem.

Setting all this down in case it helps some other newbie.

And -- a request to SMF to consider moving the "Webmaster Mail Address" setting from Core Configurations to Feature Configuration, where the other mail settings are -- because that turns out to be a key setting to get email to work.

Well, OK, no point asking SMF to do something on a CT forum.  I'll post something over on their forum, too.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 10:01:09 AM by Groff »