NTS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the Newtek Technology Services Forum!

Author Topic: Ubuntu  (Read 12034 times)

Offline Scott

• Hosting Newbie
Ubuntu
« on: November 19, 2007, 09:53:02 PM »
This is a question for CT, is it possible to get a dedicated box with Ubuntu installed instead of CentOS? 

Offline RyanBishop [NTS]

• Web Hosting
  • Administrator
  • Newtek Web Hosting
    • Newtek Web Hosting
Re: Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 09:31:51 AM »
At this time thats not a standard option but it wouldn't hurt to ask our Sales Dept. if they could get that going for you.

Georges S. [CT]

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 09:21:38 PM »
   The CentOS kernel is heavily geared to be used in a server environment. It is lightweight, efficient, powerful and secure. This is the reason most hosting providers (Like CrystalTech) offer it as the OS for Linux servers. It, in some benchmarks, surpasses even RHEL (and Fedora) in performance and reliability (It is based off of the RHEL Kernel).

Ubuntu Is much more geared towards a consumer desktop environment. Its simple and easy to understand interface (modified Debian distro) makes it very appealing for this type of application. It does tend to have some significant overhead that would impair its use and performance in a server environment, particularly in times of heavy loads.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 09:29:24 PM by Georges S. [CT] »

JohnH [CT]

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 07:54:11 AM »
CentOS may be the best way to go for you, but speaking of alternative distributions . . .   There is a server distribution I’ve been watching develop.  It is called EnGarde Secure Linux, a pre-hardened configuration with standard security tools preloaded & a browser-based interface for management—a nice concept.  It may be fine option down the road.

Here’s more information:

http://www.engardelinux.org

http://www.engardelinux.org/modules/index/selinux/

John Hammitt
Technical Support Team

Offline DizzyD

• Hosting Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 06:19:55 PM »
This is the biggest issue I have with Crystal Tech. Every other dedicated host I've looked at offers at least 2 operating systems to choose from, but CT only offers 1. Unfortunately we purchased the biggest linux dedi a few days ago anyway, but it looks like we may be switching due to this inconvenience.

Offline wizhuff

• http://www.huffs.us
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 10:13:07 PM »
This is the biggest issue I have with Crystal Tech. Every other dedicated host I've looked at offers at least 2 operating systems to choose from, but CT only offers 1. Unfortunately we purchased the biggest linux dedi a few days ago anyway, but it looks like we may be switching due to this inconvenience.

They do offer 2, Windows Server and CentOS ... there ya go.
-Steve Huff
Blog: http://www.huffs.us
"It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black."

Offline DizzyD

• Hosting Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 12:48:20 AM »
Perhaps I was unclear, but I thought this topic was regarding the operating systems for the linux dedicated servers, not all dedicated servers offered by crystal tech. I just don't see the problem w/ offering more than 1 choice, it's not like the distributions are hard to find nor do they cost any money... Yet they want to charge $70+ to install it when I can just walk down to the DC in Tempe and install it myself. Perhaps i'm just taking out frustration but this has caused me to miss my deadline of a 120 website migration...

Offline morovan

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 01:35:39 PM »
Not having Ubuntu available caused you to 'miss' your deadline?  Sounds like poor planning to me, not a fault of CT . . .
www.todayrealestate.com - Search the MLS for all properties for sale on Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

Offline RyanBishop [NTS]

• Web Hosting
  • Administrator
  • Newtek Web Hosting
    • Newtek Web Hosting
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 08:30:45 AM »
I am sorry to hear you missed your deadline, with the current times and the industry changes CrystalTech is trying to be as flexible as we can while still managing efficiency and quality to the best of our ability. Thanks to some of the folks here an internal team has been created to assist customers looking for custom solutions, such as this one. Anyone looking for services or solutions outside of the standards we post on our web site is encouraged to call into our sales team as they will put you in touch with our Custom Team.