NTS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the Newtek Technology Services Forum!

Author Topic: ASP.NET Membership and Roles  (Read 21923 times)

Offline HooiserDaddy

• Hosting Newbie
Re: ASP.NET Membership and Roles
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 12:15:57 PM »
 ??? ???
Help? Ok. I've got to say I've figured out I think eveyrthing provided in this excellent tutorial, except how to get the connection string as described in the excerpt below from the original post:

The connectionStringName should be the name of the connection string you use to access your CT MSSQL database. The

application name is the name of the provider application. You can get this name by using SQL Server Management

Studio Express (free download from MS) to log onto your SQL Server at CT. Open the aspnet_Applications Table. It

should contain but one record and the first field will have the application name.

I can't find the aspnet_Applications Table after logging into CT's SQL server? Can you tell me how to get this connectionStringName, or better yet, where to find this table mentioned above? aspnet_Applications table?
Thanks
Tim

Offline HooiserDaddy

• Hosting Newbie
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 12:26:20 PM »
 ;D

Has anyone tried using the SQL database publishing wizzard? There's a great article at 4guysfromrolla located here: http://aspnet.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/050907-1.aspxj

It seems this might be a solution to those working locally and then needing to just copy the schema, data, etc, to the CT hosted Database and being able to use it..??? What ya think?
Tim

Offline ak732

• Happily Verbose
    • Agile Web Technologies
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 12:40:53 PM »
You need to create the tables (and other db stuff) for ASP.NET membership and roles.  You can do this by running the aspnet_regsql command.  I don't recall exactly where this command lives, but Google it and you'll find information on it.

Don't bother with learning the whole command line syntax, just start the application (from the command line) w/out parameters and it will pop up a wizard that will help you out. 

You'll need to know the same database connection information you use with SQL Server Management Studio.
Andy

Offline Jesse Flint

• Hosting Newbie
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 03:32:56 PM »
One tool that I almost always use for this sort of thing is Visual Studio Database Developer Edition.

Its got some great Schema compare, data compare options.

Ill create an empty database on the shared host,   then run a local / sql express instance and dev out the system..  ASPNET membership registration, roles, test users etc..

Then you can run a Schema/data sync and just update the "production" database with the changes you want.    There are some other tools that do decent SQL 2k5 sync out there, but the VS "datadude" edition is the king of the hill in my opinion.

If you can afford the 5k