NTS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the Newtek Technology Services Forum!

Author Topic: What are you doing with your Linux box?  (Read 6519 times)

Offline Bebop17

• Hosting Newbie
What are you doing with your Linux box?
« on: February 13, 2008, 05:31:10 PM »
So I've been a happy CT customer since 01 or 02. Initially it was all about the CF and ASP. Now, my sites are pretty much all PHP, and it seems the time is right to move from WAMP to LAMP. I'd love to stay with CT; I need to know what the Linux servers can do.

I can't find a whole lot of info here or at other sites about the actual production use of CT Linux servers for web hosting. Is anyone doing it? How's it going? What kind of load are you putting on the server, are you hitting any problems, etc. Have you reached any conclusions about limitations, for example modules or numbers of sites or users etc. that the server can't reasonably handle?

I need to run Wordpress and Drupal and power a smallish (30-40) number of smallish sites.  Most will use Wordpress, a few will use Drupal. So far I'm not anticipating any specific huge server hogs like complex e-commerce apps.

Any feedback on the suitability of the linux plans would be very, very welcome. :-)

Offline Bebop17

• Hosting Newbie
Re: What are you doing with your Linux box?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 11:32:18 AM »
So, one week, 300 views (tells me there's *some* interest) and zero responses (what ARE y'all running? Mail servers? FTP? Gaming?).

I'm going to take the plunge. I'm feeling a bit like a beta tester here. If you do have any tips and tricks, send 'em in - it's not like I've been deluged here, I have lots of braincells standing by waiting for the lines to light up.

Alternatively, if you have any questions I can answer for you in this adventure, let me know.

Whee!

DThompson [CT]

Re: What are you doing with your Linux box?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 06:56:06 AM »
What am I doing with a Linux server...

That really should be the question, since all I've really worked with was Windows servers. Once again I am finding that the command prompt is my best friend, and learning a new OS is fun. 

I started out with the CentOS 4.5, 2.6.9 and put CounterStrike source on it.  Found out that a few changes needed to be made to the kernel due to Freq Timer set to 1000 and Low latency desktop were just a few settings needed to be tweaked.  After running into some fun with IPv6 v.s. IP4.  I've ended up at CentOS 5, tested a few games, VOIP software, and MySQL5.  I've recompiled the kernel more than I'd care to admit too. 

All in all its been a fun experience.