NTS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the Newtek Technology Services Forum!

Poll

Would anyone like us to offer BlueDragon for the dedicated / VPS environment?

Yes!
 11 (27.5%)
Indifferent - Platform doesn't matter
 3 (7.5%)
Prefer adobe CFMX. You pay, I play!
 22 (55%)
Blue... Dragons?
 4 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Who wants BlueDragon?  (Read 9471 times)

Offline Sol P

Who wants BlueDragon?
« on: November 21, 2008, 04:48:17 PM »
We've been running over a ton of ideas the past few weeks, one of the things brought up was BlueDragon:
(http://www.newatlanta.com/products/bluedragon/product_info/overview.cfm)

Would anyone like to see us offer BlueDragon JX inside a VPS or dedicated plan in the near future?

SOD | Sol

Offline KevinS

Re: Who wants BlueDragon?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 04:43:49 PM »
Looking at BlueDragon's website, it looks like this is a tool that allows you to deploy your CFML on .Net platform. Also it allows you to integrate your website to use both CF and .Net.

Which version of Blue Dragon would you be deploying? Just the .Net or the Java edition aswell?
In the edible parade, I'm the one sitting on top of the giant meatball.

Offline Shiny

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 07:49:45 AM »
Personally, if CT were to implement another flavor of CF, I'd prefer something along the lines of OpenBD, Railo, or Smith... each free and some O/S. Assuming this would lower the costs on entry-level CF hosting solutions. I currently have one site (and possibly more in the future) that would require just a little bit of CF, but certainly not all the enterprise features of Adobe CF Enterprise and the costs associated with it. If I could pick between all of those, I'd go with Railo.

Offline RyanBishop [NTS]

• Web Hosting
  • Administrator
  • Newtek Web Hosting
    • Newtek Web Hosting
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 10:02:53 AM »
Railo is great! We have been playing with this here on our VPS plans, there may be some potential for shared but can't say yet..

Offline Shiny

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 03:42:15 PM »
yeah, it is pretty slick. If used in shared hosting context, I'm assuming railo enterprise would be needed, which comes at a price... but less than half of what adobe cf enterprise costs.

The main thing tieing my to Adobe CF, at the moment, is the Flex integration... being that I'm primarily a Flex developer anymore. Other than that, there's really nothing else, that I'm aware of, that I couldn't do with Railo. However, the word is that Railo will soon be implementing the needed BlazeDS bits to solve this. And now that Railo has joined the JBoss application, the thought of integrating it with Hibernate is very interesting as well. I've been seeing many CF shops switch from an Adobe CF platform to a JBoss/Railo/CFGroovy+Grails setup. Not just for the inclusion of things like Hibernate, but for the performance improvements (specifically CFC instantiation performance).

But as far as BD.NET, I've just never really seen the desire. As for leveraging .net on the same application server, that sounds great in theory, just not something CF developers would use a lot.  I don't believe the primary core of CF developers know (or care to learn) .net enough to leverage it. And in the few cases that they did require communicating with .net components, we can already do that through the builtin .net integration services in Adobe CF8, including builtin support for some of the other M$ technologies such as sharepoint and exchange server.  I think the only real advantage with BD.NET is that it most likely performs better in a window's environment... whereas Java-based CFML engines (adobe, railo, smith, etc.) obviously perform better on *nix-based platforms.

Offline wps

• Hosting Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 11:11:17 PM »
Since it would be only for VPS or Dedicated, why not.  Have it as an option so people could choose.  I'm sure licensing would be a bit cheaper which may help some people too.

Offline lahmanwokard

• Hosting Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 05:25:59 AM »
For CF 8 Std on VPS's YES! with the new license one that each VPS counts as 1 CPU. So with a CPU limit of 2. we can only install 2 VPS's per License.The other part was that we basically have been selling CF at cost. And in relooking at our total return on investment in CF we had to raise prices on CF for dedicated servers. Basically we do love you all, but we are a business and for some reason my employees want to get paid. ;) However those that are paying a lower amount will keep that pricing.

Offline AndrewClarke

• Hosting Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 03:29:56 PM »
I do my personal hosting on Railo on another provider.  My clients often come here for ColdFusion.  I'd probably have kept using Crystaltech if they offered Railo.

- Andrew.

Offline skemcin

• Reggaemylitis
    • iribbit.net
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 08:54:47 PM »
I like what Shiny mentioned earlier.  I have several sites that do not use the enterprise level functionality of ColdFusion.  If a shared server had one of the open source (free) ColdFusion engines installed and therefore give us an Value ColdFusion Hosting Plan for $7.95 a month (like .NET) then selling ColdFusion applications and sites to folks wouldn't have that difference to b.s. around. The concept of "cost" is always something that ColdFusion developers have struggled with in comparing technologies. So, yeah, BlueDragon, Railo, whatever it takes to get a Value hosting packing I think would be helpful - hell even a business starter would be a great lead into hosting upgrades.
"It's just the same butter on another slice of toast!"