NTS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the Newtek Technology Services Forum!

Author Topic: Difference between VPS and dedicated server.  (Read 19366 times)

Offline nikk

• Hosting Newbie
Difference between VPS and dedicated server.
« on: February 14, 2009, 12:32:18 AM »
Can someone tell me, the basic difference between VPS and dedicated server?
Its bit urgent. Need your help.

Offline Ben Amada

Re: Difference between VPS and dedicated server.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 02:37:49 PM »
I don't think there's a Linux VPS plan available.  Just Linux dedicated servers.

With both the VPS and dedicated servers, you have full control over the entire server environment.  You can add users, install any software, configure it anyway you want to.

The big difference is with VPS, your entire server environment is on a single physical machine along with other people's server environments.  Nobody can access each other's environments.  But you are sharing physical resources -- hard disk, memory, CPU.

With a dedicated server, your server environment is on a single physical machine with no one else.  So you get all the physical resources (hard disk, memory, CPU) to yourself.
Follow me at allben.net

Offline KevinS

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 01:29:10 AM »
Another substantial difference is that currently, we have no solution to add more than 2 IP's to a VPS, where as you can add multiple IP's to a dedicated server.
In the edible parade, I'm the one sitting on top of the giant meatball.

Offline Cliff

• he
    • PathLabTalk
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 04:43:18 AM »
Basic difference among VPS and dedicated is that VPS model suits for small or medium businesses that are looking to optimize their IT infrastructure. It is best suitable for the on who do not want to spend higher costs.
A dedicated server is an ideal solution for the medium or large businesses and its costly than VPS hosting

Cool spam from a 7 year old post.

Offline Cliff

• he
    • PathLabTalk
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 07:09:30 AM »
there are a number of differences between VPS (virtual private servers) and dedicated servers. When deciding which is the best web hosting package for you, it is important to weigh all the factors and then make the right choice for your business.

Cool spam on an 8 year old post.

It makes me sad what has happened to these forums.  As soon as Tim sold, activity all but stopped, now all we get is spam.

Maybe it's time to close them down?