NTS Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the Newtek Technology Services Forum!

Author Topic: Vertical scrollbar issue in IE8  (Read 22361 times)

Offline petela

Vertical scrollbar issue in IE8
« on: April 14, 2009, 02:20:46 PM »
Hi,

I am building a website and I recently upgraded to the IE8 browser.  I noticed that for short content web pages, the vertical scrollbar does not automatically show up in phantom form on the right of the screen, as it did in earlier versions of IE.  I did some research, and my findings lead me to believe that this is by default with IE8.  I have no problem with this except that when I built a web page that has long content, the page shifts to the left to accommodate the scrollbar (16 pixels, I think).  Is there a workaround for the page shift when you navigate between web pages of differing lengths?  - or does it even matter?

Thanks,
petela

Offline ak732

• Happily Verbose
    • Agile Web Technologies
Re: Vertical scrollbar issue in IE8
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 04:41:23 PM »
Other browsers - mozilla for instance, exhibit the behavior your describing w/IE8 by design.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter.  I actually find IE7's (and under) insistence on displaying the scroll bar even when unneeded more annoying than only adding it as needed.
Andy

Offline Ben Amada

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 01:39:04 AM »
I fall in the "doesn't matter" category.  Even though the page shifts when the vertical scrollbar appears, everything gets re-centered.  Also as Andy mentioned, other browsers like Firefox have pretty much always worked this way.

As an aside, I do remember one time when I was trying to figure out in Firefox why the content on one page I was developing was not aligned the same as the content on another page in the same site with the same master layout.  As you can guess, one page was longer vertically and had a vertical scrollbar ... the other didn't.  I spent way too much time clicking Back, Forward, Back, Forward, Back, Forward in my browser trying to see what was causing the difference.  I was focusing too heavily on the center of the page instead of the right side where the vertical scrollbar was appearing and disappearing  :-[
Follow me at allben.net

Offline petela

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 09:17:26 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  I am definitely in the "doesn't matter" camp.  I'm guessing that at some point, more content will be added to the short content pages,
automatically causing the scrollbar to appear, and the page shift will disappear.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Offline Steve Herold

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 11:13:49 AM »
  I spent way too much time clicking Back, Forward, Back, Forward, Back, Forward in my browser trying to see what was causing the difference.  I was focusing too heavily on the center of the page instead of the right side where the vertical scrollbar was appearing and disappearing  :-[

LOL!!  Been there....done that....more than once!

Steve

Offline fsnick

• Hosting Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 12:35:36 PM »
CSS to always show scrollbar

Code: [Select]
html {height:100%; overflow: scroll;}

Offline axeli

• Hosting Newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 02:18:52 AM »
you need to use overflow-y CSS property and set fixed height fir this, then it would work.